Graphics-related industries are shifting more and more towards digital methods. This means that there is an increasing reliance on numerical quality control when it comes to printed materials. Numerical control means more accuracy and ease than ever before. However, since the final materials are intended to be viewed by the human eye, measurement results that closely resemble the results of visual evaluation are crucial.
One potential problem is that the paper on which materials are printed greatly influence the final viewed color. A wide variety of printing paper contain fluorescent whitening agents (FWAs). These are utilized to make the paper appear brighter. Unfortunately, the effect of the paper fluorescence on the printed color materials is particularly noticeable when viewed under Illuminant D50*1. For this reason, ISO 13655-2009*2 defined Measurement Condition M1 as having illumination corresponding to CIE Illuminant D50. This was done in order to minimize measurement result differences due to paper fluorescence. This effect was difficult to measure with conventional handheld spectrodensitometers.
The FD Series spectrodensitometers is an impressive alternative to the aforementioned problems. The FD series spectrodensitometers utilize Konica Minolta s original VFS (Virtual Fluorescence Standard) technology. This enables color evaluation while taking into consideration the fluorescence of the paper under Illuminant D50, the standard light source used by the printing industry for color evaluation. These are the world s first instruments to provide measurement results corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Condition M1.
*1 An artificial light source, which is defined by the CIE as having a spectral distribution that simulates daylight. This is commonly used for color measurement.
*2 ISO 13655-2009: Graphic technology Colorimetric computation and spectral measurement for graphic arts images
- For Measuring Color and Density
- Uniquely corresponds to Measurement Condition M1 of ISO 13655
- The first M1 type in the world
- Konica Minolta's original VFS (Virtual Fluorescence Standard) technology allows for L*a*b* measurements that correspond to ISO 13655 Measurement Condition M1 (CIE Illuminant D50).
- Additionally, color measurements corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Conditions M0 (CIE Illuminant A) and M2 (illumination with UV-cut filter) can also be taken easily and quickly.
- Industry's very first automatic wavelength compensation function
- Wavelength compensation is performed simultaneously with white calibration with no additional work required.
- Until now, it was only possible for wavelength compensation to be carried out as one part of manufacturer servicing. This task is now performed during white calibration. This helps to maintain the highest measurement reliability values.
- Enables color measurements that correspond very closely to visual evaluation.
- Conventional instruments that measure materials printed on substrates containing fluorescent whitening agents (FWA) illustrate large differences between the results of measurements and visual evaluation. With the new FD-7/FD-5, measurement results correspond very closely to visual evaluation results. This includes but is not limited to the effects of any FWA in the paper.
- Simple operation
- Measurements of density, dot gain, dot area ratio, illumination, and color are simple.
- User-friendly instructions on the LCD screen guide so that anyone can take measurements easily
- World's lightest*1
- The main body weighs only about 350g. With the target mask attached it only weighs about 430g. This is lighter than any previous spectrodensitometer ever manufactured. The low weight of this instrument reduces the load on the user s arm during work, which improves measurement accuracy over time.
- *1 Display-equipped spectrodensitometer. As of November 1, 2010
- Worry-free after-sales service
- Worldwide service centers provide quick and helpful technical support when needed.
- A far-reaching service network exists to ensure that your instrument is always functioning properly.
|Illumination/viewing system||45°a: 0° (annular illumination) *1>
Conforms to CIE No. 15, ISO 7724/1, DIN 5033 Teil 7, ASTM E 1164, and JIS Z 8722 Condition a for reflectance measurements
|Spectral separation device||Concave grating|
|Wavelength range||Spectral reflectance: 360 nm to 740 nm|
|Wavelength pitch||10 nm|
|Half bandwitdh||Approx. 10 nm|
|Measurement area||Φ3.5 mm|
|Measurement range||Density: 0.0D to 2.5D; Reflectance: 0 to 150%|
|Short-term repeatability||Density: Σ 0.01D
Colorimetric: Within Σ ΔE00 0.05 (When white plate is measured 30 times at 10-second intervals after white calibration has been performed)
|Inter-instrument agreement||Within ΔE00 0.3 (Average of 12 BCRA Series II color tiles compared to values measured with a master body under Konica Minolta standard conditions)|
|Measurement time||Approx. 1.4 s (single-point reflectance measurement)|
|Measurement conditions||Corresponding to ISO 13655 Measurement Conditions M0 (CIE Illuminant A), M1 (CIE Illuminant D50), and M2 (illumination with UV-cut filter); User-defined illuminant|
|Illuminants||A, C, D50, ID50, D65, ID65, F2, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, User-defined illuminant|
|Observers||2°Standard Observer, 10 deg Standard Observer|
|Density||ISO Status T, ISO Status E, ISO Status A; DIN 16536|
|Display language||English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified)|
|Output data*2||Displayed values; Spectral reflectance data (FD-7 only) ; Spectral irradiance data (FD-7 only)|
|Power||Rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery (Number of measurements per charge: Approx. 2,000 when new); AC adapter; USB power bus|
(W x D x H)
|70 x 165 x 83 mm (Body only);
90 x 172 x 84 mm (With target mask attached)
|Weight||Approx. 350 g (Body only); Approx. 430 g (With target mask attached)|
|Operating temperature/humidity range||10 to 35° C, 30 to 85% relative humidity with no condensation|
|Storage temperature/ humidity range||0 to 45°C, 0 to 85% relative humidity with no condensation|
|Standard Accessories||White Calibration Plate, Target Mask, Protection Glass, AC Adapter, USB Cable, Soft Case, Polarization Filter, Data Management Software FD-S1w, Illuminance Adapter (FD-7 only), Ruler (FD-7 only)|
|Optional Accessories||Color Management Software basICColor catch all, XY Automatic Color Measurement Stage Color Scout A3+, Color Management Software SpectraMagic NX|
Specifications are subject to change without notice.